Friday 4 May 2007

Studying - Sigh - Jia you!!!

I do not like studying...
Sometimes I wonder why I am in this field..
All the studying that needs to be done...
Like my friend said to me earlier this morning, "It is endless"


Furthermore, with the advancement of technology, things change so quickly
At one point things are a certain way, but 10 years down the road, they no longer are

I had a doctor once tell me that most of the things he studied in medical school are so outdated and a lot of them are do not apply now


Look at all the surgeons..
They learnt to cut people up and fix them inside, and then close the wound up
However, the focus is on laparoscopic technique now
Instead of being able to see and touch the structures, they can only see it through a TV screen and use two long sticks to maneuver through the structures in a patient's body.
All the skills they learnt before had not gone to waste, but is used less often
Eventually those skills will fade


I suppose this does not only apply to medicine
It is very much similar to the path each and everyone of us has to walk
We learn things
We forget things that we once learnt
Then we learn new things.. It is the cycle of life... We do not stop learning


However, some things are not as easy to learn as the others.
We can work as hard as we want for our careers
We can create opportunity where there is none
We can work so hard and in years, we will eventually succeed
We reap what we sow


However, when we deal with another human being, we can never learn
This is because it concerns two people with two different minds
It is difficult to build a friendship
It is more difficult to build a relationship
We can never learn because it involves different people

No one person is the same
No one person feels the same way
No one person thinks the same way
So it is impossible to use our past experiences with someone new
All we can do is just use a general guide and improvise as we go along
We can get to know this new person
We can learn from our experiences with this new person
However, even with that, success is not guaranteed...
Because people do change


Medicine is definitely a very difficult course
Facts are constantly changing and we have to always keep in tip top condition
We always have to be alert and proactive to learn as much as we can

Despite my dislike of studying, I find this job very gratifying
I know I am just a student, but I have a strong feeling that I will love this job
I already love being in the wards
Talking to different people and learning about their lives
Even at this very moment when I have no authority to treat them
I am happy enough
I am happy enough to be in this course
Happy enough to have made it this far
All I can hope is that I can make it further
With that I need to pass this exam..
God bless..

1 comment:

Xiao_zhai said...

More books, less blogs.....

Hehehe...I don't really like the studying part either.