Tuesday 27 March 2007

Better to have loved and lost, than to have not loved at all..

I was sitting in the clinic today. This old lady came in with a history of weight loss. Her GP was worried for her because she was losing weight due to poor appetite. She came in looking quite frail with a walking stick but still managed to be rather independent. Her GP also stated that he was aware that she was still in bereavement for her husband who had just passed away late last year. The consultant asked her if she was coping well. She said she was still trying to cope, although better, she occassionally still dips into depression. When the consultant tried telling her that it is a normal process when you lose somebody you love. She told him that she had a happy 45 years of marriage and that she missed him a lot. She almost broke into tears and I was there feeling so touched but yet could not offer anything. I wanted to hold her hands to let her know that it was alright to feel that way, but how would I know. I have not loved someone that long. 45 years... That is a very long time and no matter how hard I try to imagine how hard it would be, I do not think I would come close unless I experience it myself. She regained herself after a while and tried to compose herself for the remainder of the consultation. I drifted off the second half of the consultation. I thought to myself. Was she unlucky that she lost her husband? Or should she be considered lucky to have been able to experience 45 good years with somebody she loves rather than not be able to find someone at all? What about those who are in search of that "someone" and never succeeded. Just a thought to ponder. Let me know what you all think :P Anyway, I wish her well...

1 comment:

The Sadist said...

You're contradicting yourself, dear. I agree with your title. Better to have loved and lost. You HAVE loved, regardless of whether or not it worked out. That's the most important thing, and it was good while it lasted, right? Move on to greener pastures. There is lots more room for love in this world. I love you too! = )